Saturday, September 8, 2007

Urban Blight

For the last three years, I have been doing an art project called "Urban Blight" with my 2D Art IV students at AAW. We go into Detroit, look for houses, buildings, etc. that have been burned or otherwise gone to ruin. We shoot photos, and then use them for reference for paintings. I did this painting mostly right in class with my students.


Legacy, 24" x 30", acrylic, 2004

This building was at the corner of John R. and Palmer St. in Detroit. It has since been torn down, and the whole block was plowed over. I think they are probably putting up some condos or something. There is a lot of that going on in this neighborhood, which is just north of Comerica Park, where the Detroit Tigers play baseball.

1 comment:

barbara g said...

I am researching urban blight and solutions uniting community efforts and the arts. I live an old steel mill town,like so many others, it has many abandoned store fronts and buildings. I am hoping to bring art into our community through youth programs and community efforts. Thank you for sharing you contributions