Monday, March 17, 2008

1995: My Brief Foray into the World of 3D Computer Graphics

As usual, life is very busy. I have an essay that I have been picking away at, but it is not ready yet. In the meantime, I thought that I had better post something so that my readers don't totally lose interest...

Back in 1995, I started dabbling around with doing some 3D CG. I thought that there might be a possibility for me to head in that direction career-wise. As things happened, through a series of events not interesting enough to bother with here, this was not to be. It occurred to me that perhaps some of you might be interested to see some of this stuff.

These pieces were created with Strata Studio Pro, on a Macintosh Quadra 660 AV, which featured a whopping 350 MG hard drive, and as I recall, 24 MB of RAM. Hard to imagine doing much of anything on that equipment, much less 3D work. These things took hours for the computer to render. Actually, Adobe Illustrator ran just fine on that machine, and the file sizes were pretty small. The fifteen-inch montior I was using at the time was kind of a drag, however.


This would be challenging to paint, but it was really easy to create as a 3D model.


Was I playing Myst at the time? You bet!


Influenced by Myst and Memphis furniture.


(click on image for larger view)


Bridge (click on image for larger view)


Lizard-man test


Lizard-man under the bridge


Head test for a bird-like dino-creature. No further work on this one.

Working in 3D was really fun, but again, my life just went down a different path so I never pursued it beyond what you see here.

No comments: